Veritas in Caritate – Truth in Love
The exterior is the traditional “framing” of a Bishop’s coat of arms.
The left side of the crest stands for the Diocese of Cheyenne.
The right side represents Bishop Etienne:
- At the top is a river, representing the rivers that have passed through his life; The Ohio, Tiber (Rome), Potomac (Washington, DC), Mississippi (St. Paul), White (Indianapolis) As well as the living stream of life, Jesus Christ.
- The tree represents both the Etienne and Voges families; The early generation of Etienne family were loggers, and the Voges family, carpentry and construction, As well as the tree of life, the cross of Jesus Christ.
- The sword is for St. Paul, and the book represents the Sacred Scriptures and Preaching.
- The M is for Bishop Etienne’s devotion to the Blessed Mother.
- The Sun symbolizes Christ, the Dawn from on High, as well as his general love of the outdoors.